I am a crafty one. I love to knit, sew, stitch, crochet, cut, glue, and generally make a mess. The knitting had taken over for a while, as wedding fever kicked in and I (of course) decided to knit bow ties for all of the ushers, knit a tie and pocket square for Stuart and knit our cake toppers and decorations. But, with the airing of the BBC’s The Great British Sewing Bee, my fingers were itching to get at the sewing machine once more. Here’s a picture of my lovely little sewing machine:
Her name is Florence, because she is both a machine and a Singer. It seemed very witty at the time. Florence’s last project, in the run up to our marriage, was this patchwork quilt! I’d never quilted anything before, and for some reason decided that making a quilt for a double bed was the best way to start! Yes, it was an epic start to my quilting journey, but one that I don’t regret! I think the results were well worth it, and I got to use up scraps of my favourite dress, which I’d sadly torn but couldn’t bear to part with!
But that was some months ago now, and I was chomping at the bit to start a new project. Well, we’re in a new home, so it was the perfect opportunity to get sewing something for it! We’ve been contemplating lately how many people we can squish into our lounge at once (for Bible studies and such – as you do!) and we reckon we could get 14 in, if you really like all of the other people in the room, and you’re all wearing strong deodorant. But we knew that actual seats would be a problem. So, I decided to sew a beanbag!
I grappled with the zip (wonky and definitely visible), I stitched, unpicked and re-stitched squares into the original (wrong) place, unstitched and restitched again, and we together faced the challenge of filling the bag up. I’d read that filling a beanbag in the bath is helpful as if the polystyrene balls escape, at least they’re contained. So, Stuart and I climbed into the bath, with this massive red cotton sack akin to something Father Christmas would wear/carry, and attempted to fill the bag. It was fairly unsuccessful, but Stuart had the bright idea of using a jug. Now, we’d been bought a particularly gorgeous Le Creuset batter jug as a wedding present… which of course was perfect. Cue ridiculous scene that really belongs in some kind of sitcom. Anyway, eventually we got there, the bag was filled and I’d sewn all the right bits to each other, at long last. Here is the result!